This calculator is used to size liquid control valves. The calculator determines the valve flow coefficient (Cv) required for a specified liquid flow rate and pressure drop. The calculator can handle non-flashing and flashing liquid flow. The calculation method is based on the International Electrotechnical Commission procedure described in the Emerson Control Valve Handbook.
The calculator determines the valve flow coefficient (Cv) required for the valve to pass a specified liquid flow rate with specified upstream and downstream pressures.
The calculator can handle non-flashing, flashing and choked flow.
- Enter the mass flow rate of liquid the valve must pass
- Enter the pressures upstream and downstream of the valve
- Enter the fluid physical properties
- Enter the valve liquid pressure recovery factor
- This can be obtained from valve manufacturer's literature
- Typical values for globe valves range from 0.70 to 0.97
- If no fittings are connected to the valve this factor is 1
- If fittings such as reducers are fitted to the valve the geometry factor can be calculated using the procedure described in the Liquid Control Valve Sizing Calculator Documentation