This calculator is used to size horizontal gas-liquid separators such as knock-out drums. The calculator determines the vessel diameter and length required to achieve the specified separation. The calculation method is based on the procedure described in "Rules of Thumb for Chemical Engineers" by Carl Branan.
The calculator determines the horizontal vessel diameter and length required to carry out the specified gas-liquid separation.
The calculator automatically calculates the Souders-Brown separator sizing factor based on the specified liquid and gas flow rates and densities.
- Enter the mass flow rate of liquid entering the separator
- Enter the mass flow rate of gas or vapour entering the separator
- Enter the density of the liquid entering the separator
- Enter the density of the gas or vapour entering the separator
- Enter the required liquid hold-up time the separator must provide. Typical values are:
- Tower reflux drums: 5 - 10 mins
- Knock-out drums: 5 mins
- Fractionation feed surge tanks: 8 - 15 mins